Re: extended recording

Subject: Re: extended recording
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 02:05:02 -0400
Doug Von Gausig wrote:
> At 03:28 PM 8/27/2003, oryoki wrote:
>
>>Minidisc users who are happy changing discs every 80 minutes need
>>read no further...
>
> (snip)
>
>>The 4GB microdrive is a good match with Marantz's PMD-670 recorder
>>(~$600), which has a Type 2 Compactflash slot and FAT32 file system.
>>4GB of storage means the PMD-670 can record DAT-quality uncompressed
>>stereo for six hours.  If MP2 compression is OK, then you could
>>capture more than 24 hours of stereo non-stop.
>

> I can imagine nothing worse than having 12-24 hours of original recording=
> on a microdrive unit when it crashes because I jostled it during it's
> read/write phase. Canon cautions digital camera users that microdrives ar=
> great in their high-end cameras, but you need to be very careful not to j=
ar
> it while it's writing. They say (and I have no [personal experience to
> verify or deny this) that the drives are very sensitive to physical shock=

> while they're writing/reading. Perhaps they are being overly pessimistic,=

> but what if...

I've been using PCMCIA Type 3 cards with my digital camera for many,
many years. I still use the original card as well as several others.
Those cards are a mini hard drive. I've had no media failures. Of course
the Minolta RD-175 is a fairly heavy camera, so would keep down the
bumps a bit.

Microdrives are smaller than the Type 3's so I'm kind of expecting they
won't have quite as robust components.

I am much more comfortable with the optical drive technology as far as
robustness. No tiny heads flying minute distances over the record
surface. I've had MD continue recording when dropped 4' on pavement,
without even a skip.