Re: First attempt at thunderstorm recordings

Subject: Re: First attempt at thunderstorm recordings
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 14:12:16 -0500
>Visit www.richardsfault.com NEW ENTRIES (then to be moved to
>RELAXING) for six examples of thunder recorded last night. The mic
>was (sort of) protected by the roof overhang.
>
>The main problems I encountred were a loss of the first hour due to a
>power failure, from which I though Cool Edit Pro could recover!
>
>Other problems included heavy clipping on the low frequency after-
>rumbles, which is audible is several of the MP3's.
>
>What have been the thunderstorm recording experiences of others? Any
>good examples posted anywhere?

Gordon Hempton has a very nice CD.   The best results I've achieved
came from multiple recorders/mics running at the same time set for
three levels: distant rumble/presence, close lighting and close
thunder/distant lightening.  Even with multi-track editing,  the
dynamic range is so huge it's very hard to create the impact of a
close lightening strike and include much volume from the other
elements in the mix. A mix with a variety of sustained rumblings is a
good situation to start working with.  If you ever get a chance to
record a thunderstorm moving over without rain, jump on it-- you can
do a lot more if you can mix in rain separately.  Rob D.