re: bug shirts

Subject: re: bug shirts
From: "Robin Carter" <>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:02:07 -0400
Walter Knapp wrote:

How do you handle wearing headphones, headlamps and so on? In or outside
the mesh?

I'm normally in and out of the car numerous times in a evening.
Headphones on and off lots, though I usually just keep the headlamp on.

On top of hot or not, that seems like the only other problem.

Walt

I usually put the bug shirt on first, and then put on a birding vest to hol=
d my preamp, my Sharp minidisc recorder, etc. I put the headphones and a ba=
seball cap on over the hood of the bug shirt and then set off carrying my T=
elinga in my left hand, or my Sony MS957 or Rode NT4 on a mic stand. Someti=
mes I hike along with the Sony mic in the left pocket of my birding vest, w=
ith the preamp attached to the right pocket of the vest and the minidisc in=
 the right pocket, except when I am actually recording. When I use a headla=
mp I do not wear the hat, but the headlamp is outside of the hood of the bu=
g shirt. I usually do not wear the bug mitts, but sometimes these are neces=
sary as well. These mitts are designed for hunters, so there is a lot of co=
ntrol. Of course I still have mosquitoes buzzing around the mic and insects=
 colliding with the Telinga's parabola to deal with. All this is awkward, t=
o be sure, but it can be the difference between doing some recording or hea=
ding home.

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC