Re: ME 62 imbalance

Subject: Re: ME 62 imbalance
From: "David Kuhn" <>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 23:02:22 -0000
--- In  Walter Knapp <>
wrote:
> David Kuhn wrote:
> > Aloha listeners,
> > I'm using a pair of Senn ME62's with Shure A96f Line Matching
> > Transformers in a Jecklin arrangement for ambient sound. There is
> > what seems significant imbalance in the channels when viewed in
> > CEPro: for example Left channel -8.5dB vs Right Channel -
7.1dB;=20=20=20=20
> > L -5.7dB vs R -4.9dB.
> > Should I expect better balance than this? The problem is
apparently
> > not the transformers, as switching them made no difference.
>
> Did changing the direction the pair were pointed change this? It's
not
> at all uncommon when recording in stereo for the sound levels to
differ
> from the two sides. The mics are recording different soundfields.
The

--- In  Dan Dugan <> wrote:
> Try switching the inputs to the recorder, left and right. If the
> problem moves it's outside the recorder, if it doesn't, it's in the
> recorder or the transfer process.

____________________________

Thank you Dan and Walt---

Beg pardon, I should have mentioned that I had already determined
that the problem is outside the recorder (MZR-50), having switched
the mic's side-for-side and noted that the problem flipped channels.
And as I said, switching the transformers made no difference.

So, the imbalance is in the mics, and as Walt indicates,  "the
difference is minimal, but you can test it with a fixed sound
source"   I did test it with a kitchen timer, with mic's centered on
the source. The measurements I mentioned (Left channel -8.5dB vs
Right channel -7.1dB;  L -5.7dB vs R -4.9dB)  were from that test, as
read in CEPro.  Is this imbalance correctible thru repair?

I may simply be expecting too much from the ME62's, and need to quit
whinin' and step up to a higher quality ambience-mic'ing setup. Even
after all the discussion in this group about different ambience
mic's, I can't decide what to go for, the only certainty is "up"
($$). This refrain must sound familiar to most of us.

Much Aloha,
David