New member's questions

Subject: New member's questions
From: "Arnon Tsairi" <>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 20:09:23 +0200
Hi all,

My Name is Arnon, and I'm a birder and naturalist from Israel. My knowledge
about sound recordings is very close to zero, but I really want to get into
it. That's from several reasons, including nature documentation obsession
and the fact that I have good recording opportunities. Also I hope
recordings will help me survey some species, like the locally endangered
Nubian Nightjar (Caprimulgus nubicus). This bird is not so easy to find, but
is quite vocal.

And a beginner's question:

I don't have any recording equipment. The first option is to save "some"
money for a year or so, and get good digital recorder and a professional
mic. The second is to find something used, perhaps even build a microphone
(like the one described in Greg Kunkel's Birdsongs website).

What do you think is the best way to start? I will appreciate getting some
tips about buying a used recorder, like reliable models and what should I
check in an old recorder. In the (far) future I hope to contribute to the
list more than just questions.

Best Regards,

Arnon Tsairi

Be'er Sheva, Israel