long lake chorus

Subject: long lake chorus
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 02:34:14 -0700 (PDT)
As many of you know, I don't think of myself as a nature recordist per se,
but if I keeping hanging around here, who knows what might happen!

Maybe it's keeping such inspiring company as this list provides, but when
I put the finishing touches on a set of Nepal field recordings I've just
posted on my site:

  http://www.quietamerican.org/field_nepal.html

I found myself really enjoying one particular recording which I thought
I'd share with you all. It was recorded late in the morning (9-10 am?) on
the shores of a small, grass surrounded lake in Chitiwan National Park in
the Terai, the hot dry jungle in the southern third of Nepal -- it's still
on the Gangetic plane, before the Himalayas start.

It's an excerpt from a longer recording, of the ambient chorus ~ I think I
can generally guess two species, and those only generally... :)

It's linked from the Nepal page as "Long lake chorus", or you can find it
here directly (1.6 MB):

  http://www.quietamerican.org/download/sources-nepal/long_lake_chorus.mp3

(Incidentally it was recorded with my usual minimal rig, sonic studios
DSM-6S/EH in a head windscreen, into a consumer Sharp MD recorder.)

A phasing pair of one of the same callers can be heard in the "Terai
thunder" recording made later the same day, and in the "alarm clock" track
quite clearly.

Best regards,
 aaron

PS in quite another vien, I'm also very fond of the recording on that page
called "squeaky shoes"... ;)

  http://www.quietamerican.org