Re: Re: Limiters

Subject: Re: Re: Limiters
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2003 01:56:13 -0400
 wrote:
> In a message dated 6/30/2003 10:47:48 AM Pacific Standard Time,
>  writes:
>

>>But, it's probably time to revisit the subject as there
>>has been so much new equipment brought out since then. My feeling is
>>some of the newer limiters are not that bad.
>>

> But don't all limiters raise and lower the "volume" as you are recording so
> that constant background noise will be going up and down as the "volume" is
> increased or decreased. I used limiters a lot several years ago and regret
> it!
> The recordings are not good as the volume is constantly going up and down as
> the
> bird sings...this being noticeable with the constant background noise
> sounding like a wave!

That's a different thing from a limiter. A limiter will keep the sound
from exceeding the clipping level, usually by making a "soft landing"
for the loud peaks. But, does not reset the overall gain.

What your are talking about is automatic volume control, or automatic
level control. This attempts, by adjusting the overall gain, to hold the
volume constant. By the very nature of the beast, even if working right,
it produces just the kind of up and down that you talk about. And should
be avoided completely.