RE: Nighttime Birds

Subject: RE: Nighttime Birds
From: "Barb Beck" <>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:38:15 -0600
Hi,

I am out recording at night (or what I guess what you think is night)
remember in many areas of this province it does not get dark at night- dusk
blends into dawn.  In that area the birds sing all night picking up a little
in the extended dawn (the sun comes up slowly) and if it is not really hot
(which it rarely is) sing most of the day unlike what apparently you guys
have in the south where everything happens as a dawn chorus.  Lange Elliott
makes a point in his book of mentioning that one of the kingbirds does not
sing much after dawn and yet up here where it is cooler I get them singing
all day - not as much as at dawn but still making their presence known (and
that is both Eastern and Western Kingbirds)  (No matter how nice the story
and poetry involved there is not a "wave of dawn chorus" which sweeps across
the world at Northern latitudes that you encounter in the more southern ones
in the northern hemisphere.)

Night or what passes for it here is an especially good time for LeConte's
and Neslon's Sharptailed Sparrows.  Do not know whether they are singing
more or I am just noticing them more when some of the other loud mouths of
the wetlands have quieted down a bit.  Of course when the frogs start up it
is game over.

Barb Beck
Edmonton