Re: Sony MZ-N707 Disaster

Subject: Re: Sony MZ-N707 Disaster
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 02:42:23 -0000
Actually I have found my laptop's stock soundcard to have a bit
better performance than my consumer level MD in all departments of
sound quality.

I agree that he needs to do his transfer at line levels but I would
not go so far in condemnation of mic ins on all sound cards.

I would also not go so far as condemnation of windows users.  If I
wanted a less powerful machine I could get a virus proof machine. If
I wanted to be 100% virus proof I would pull out the telex and
connect it to the internet.

Off to the BWCA catch you in a few days.

Rich Peet

--- In  "evertveldhuis"
<> wrote:
> Brent,
>
> Basic rule about soundcards (inside a computer housing): NEVER use
> the mic input.
> NEVER. It sounds like crap. And right now you were giving way too
> much input to the soundcard, thus the static-like sound.
>
> You should use line out or phones out of the MD and connect them
with
> (analog) line in of the soundcard. This way the recorded wave files
> will not be as loud as you had before when connected to the mic
input.

> If you want to go digital, buy a MD deck with SPDIF output ;
Kenwood