Re: Sony MZ-N707 Disaster

Subject: Re: Sony MZ-N707 Disaster
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 21:10:34 +1000
Hello Brent,

    It would appear that you have a somewhat similar situation to ours here
in Australia: in general the staff of shops dealing in recording gear (or
computers), do not really know much about our needs as nature sound
recordists for field recording nor, more especially, do they have any clues
about the processing of the sound once recorded.

We have to find a firm that is servicing the music industry.  They don't
know a lot about field recording of wildlife sounds, but they do have the
expertise concerning processing the sound once it's recorded.

BTW, in '99 I bought a Sony DAT recorder.  It was demonstrably faulty:  the
drum was sticking.  I wished to return it and be supplied with a new
recorder that performed correctly;  Sony would fix the faulty one at no cos=
to me, but would not replace it.

Having paid for a new instrument, I was not happy to accept a repaired
faulty one.  So I persisted, eventually going to the "power behind the
throne", so to speak.  I managed to find out who was the lady who was
confidential secretary to the head of the Sony Corporation's Brisbane
office.  By that time I was not feeling very pleased with Sony and sought t=
return the instrument for a full refund of the purchase price.  This was
arranged by the Secretary.  (I then bought a Tascam, which has worked well.=
)

I have since been told that the Sony DAT I had bought was regarded by Sony
as a domestic instrument, and that Sony would have been far more helpful ha=
it been a "professional" recorder.

Cheers,

Syd

> From: "wonderdog44" <>
> Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 20:21:22 -0000
> Subject: [Nature Recordists] Sony MZ-N707 Disaster
>
> Hi everyone.
>
> I have been a member of this list for quite a while, but have never
> posted.
>
> Two months ago I went down to the Sony Store here in Calgary to buy a
> mini-disk recorder. I very carefully explained to the manager what we
> were doing (recording bird sounds for publication on the Internet)
> and asked him which of his models was best for our needs.
>
> Based on his advice, I ended up buying the Sony MZ-N707.
>
> Big mistake.

(Snip)