Re: Re: Digital Distortion

Subject: Re: Re: Digital Distortion
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 01:46:47 -0400
Raimund Specht wrote:
> Walter Knapp wrote:
>

>>It does not take ATRAC or MP3 to do this. I've seen and heard the
>
> same
>
>>thing from DAT.
>

> I agree, that most of the spurious harmonics (including those
> mirrored down to lower frequencies) in this example are not a result
> of the ATRAC or MP3 compression. Similar effects can be seen in DAT
> recordings too. But additionally, the ATRAC system will be pushed to
> its limits by the large bandwidth of the clipped sounds. These
> effect are perhaps small compared to the original clipping.

I have my doubts that ATRAC would be contributing much. The sound was
already ruined before it got there, so who cares. It's not the job of
ATRAC to clean up the mess that occurred before it.

My own experience is that ATRAC could record this accurately. At least
the newer versions. But, I for one have no need to experiment on that. I
work to not feed it this sort of stuff.

The real culprit, and I think what Rich was getting at is overdriving in
pre and A/D. He is right, this is common. It will be just as common in
the new solid state digitals. It's a matter of teaching folks to handle
digital recording. There's still a lot of recording advice floating
around that's straight from analog recording and ruins digital
recordings. We need to root that out.