Sound Devices USBPre-alternate power source?

Subject: Sound Devices USBPre-alternate power source?
From: "cmursic" <>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 14:48:47 -0000
I just reads a review of the Sound Devices USBPre (two channle mic
preamp with 24-bit digital output) in a back issue of Recording
Magazine (Nov.2002) and think it may be ideal for me in the sense
that it has some nice specs and has digital output (so I can plug
directly into my Marantz CDR300 hard disk recorder).  Problem is
that the USBPre is powered via the USB port of a computer.
So...does anyone know of a way to adapt USB-powered devices to
another form of external battery power (I don't own a laptop nor do
I care to use one for field recording).  At around $550 for the
USBPre, it's less than 50% of any other two-channel digital-output
portable preamp that I know of (I'm thinking here of the Apogee
MiniMe and the Lunatec V3).  Here's a link to the USBPre for those
who are interested: http://www.1esa.com/USBpre.htm
thanks