RE: Cheap stereo mic recommendations?

Subject: RE: Cheap stereo mic recommendations?
From: "Martyn Stewart" <>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 10:11:16 -0700
Brian Wrote

(Ditto. I used an 822 for years and I don't believe AT's published
noise specs for it. Mine was also very muddy and uneven at the bottom
end; "stereo" was was about the only plus I enjoyed with this mic.
The NT-4 requires phantom power which means you'd need at least an
in-line phantom power supply to run it with an MD recorder. The Rode
seems to have considerably less noise and more sensitivity than the
957. More sensitivity means less preamp gain (preamp noise on MD's)
and more bit saturation when the record level must be cranked full.
And because of this, you may want to make a home made shock mount. On
paper at least, a few hundred more towards the NT-4's may be worth
it-- I notice quite a few folks have been asking for nt4 sample
recordings. Anyone have a field recording they can share?  Rob D.)

I have a Rhode NT-4 and love it!! I was recommended that I should add
this mic to my list; it has great response and a low self noise. You
don't need phantom power as you have the option of using a battery (this
does make it a bit noisier, not much) I will post a sound byte later
today, ironically, I was just out recording with it this morning at
4:00am, I'll keep you posted.

Martyn :-)