Re: Cheap stereo mic recommendations?

Subject: Re: Cheap stereo mic recommendations?
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 17:40:58 -0400
Brian McWilliams wrote:
> It's time to move from mono recordings to stereo for
> strictly outdoor field recording but I'm hesitating
> because I'm not quite sure which way to go. I have no
> experience with a soldering iron, so that may shape
> your answer.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with the Rode NT4 or
> Audio Technica AT822 in the field? If so, what were
> your experiences?
>
> Would you recommend either as a "cheap" stereo mic for
> field recording?

A third mic to consider is the Sony ECM-MS957 in the less expensive
category. Both it and the AT822 have self noise in the 24-25dBA range.
And between those two I'd probably choose the Sony. I've tried a AT822,
and did not like it, I have the Sony, primarily as a backup mic.

The NT4 is a quieter mic, with a self noise of 16dBA. So, by self noise
it's a better deal.

Someone reported using a NT4 and that it handled humidity and so on well.

You do need to think a little about the sort of stereo field you are
trying to record. None of these mics will get you a lot of reach, so are
really for closer stuff.

And forget soldering irons. You can't make something better, primarily
because finding quality capsules is a problem. You can make things that
are cheaper, but not better.