Re: My sound trap (Cheap)

Subject: Re: My sound trap (Cheap)
From: Gregory Kunkel <>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 10:18:36 -0700 (PDT)
Doug
  The electret capsule is listed as an omni and I have
one set up in my backyard without a dish. It is hard
to compare, because the background noise is so
different. At home the highway is only 200 yards away
and the microphone is pointed towards it. Maybe I'll
experiment when the warbler season is over. My guess
is that I would get less overmodulations when birds
are directly on axis and close, but I would loose
reach and not pick up songs further up the mountain
side.
When the recordings really get hot and heavy in a few
weeks I will have to reset the sensitivity so I don't
overload my hard drive. At present I am only uploading
the first thirty songs that meet the criteria of
frequency band and amplitude. With only a dial-up
modem it takes about 50 seconds to upload one song.

Thank you for mentioning my bird song pages. Many
recordings were made long ago with extremely primitive
(cheap) gear, but I have been updating them with
recordings made with my Sony MZR-70, converted to mp3
instead of wav. (Listen to my Black-throated Green,
Pine, and Yellow-rumped Warblers, and Song Sparrow).
One piece of "extremely primitive gear" is now being
used as the preamp.
                 Greg (Cheap) Kunkel

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/G_Kunkel/homepage.htm.