Re: some respect for ATRAC (sample rate changing)

Subject: Re: some respect for ATRAC (sample rate changing)
From: "Raimund Specht" <>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 07:44:25 -0000
Hi Evert,

Yes, I'm afraid too, that not all of the artifacts shown in this
spectroram are caused by ATRAC. Therefore, it would be good if
someone else could repeat that test with a different SPDIF interface.

http://www.avisoft.de/compression/compressed441MD.gif

What I could imagine is, that the additional frequency-shifted parts
at about 20 kHz (e.g. at t=3D0.57 ... 0.69) are a result of some other
signal processing in your system (the Kenwood recorder has a sample
rate converter at its digital input too). However, because I have
some experience with sample-rate conversion algorithms (I
implemented a nearly distortion-free re-sampling feature in Avisoft-
SASLab Pro), I know that simpler algorithms (interpolating only
linearly) would add overtones (multiples of the original signal)
only. But what we see here are no overtones. It is some kind of a
copy (shifting) of the original signal to a higher frequency. Such
effects can not be caused by straightforward distortion as we now
that from analog signal processing. Also, it would be difficult to
explain the short 'invented' sine signals at 19 kHz (t=3D0.26 ...
0.31). A poor re-sampling algorithm would produce a more steady
signal. Thes effects we see here must have been caused by some kind
of more 'intelligent' signal processing. So I have the strong
feeling, that these effects are also produced by ATRAC. At least,
the extremely noise at the steep frequency slopes (e.g at t=3D1.27 or
t=3D3.33) are clearly caused by ATRAC. We have seen similar (but
weaker) effects in the MP3 example. It should also be noted, that
the original constant sine signal at 17 kHz (absolute amplitude -38
dB) disappears completely at more complex passages (t=3D0.85 ...0.87).
The constant sine signal at about 10 kHz is not much affected in
this example. However, it should be noted, that I used a very fair
spectrographic display with low gain and low contrast (because such
displays are often used in bioacoustics). Nevertheless, you will
find some distortion also to the 10 kHz signal if you look closer (I
found amplitude drops of up to 8 dB at the worst-case situation).

Regards,
Raimund