Re: DSM mics

Subject: Re: DSM mics
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 20:51:51 -0700 (PDT)
> Has anyone used the DSM mics from Sonic Studios? Though they seem to
> be of high quality, I wonder how well they work in the field.

Hey Stephen,

I would guess that I have more minutes of recordings made with them on my
site than anyone... please take a listen if you like!  There might be
something close to what you seek to do there.

To answer your root question though, it depends what kind of recording
you'll be doing.

If you are looking to do quiet nature recording -- even ambiances -- I
suspect they will not give you what you want.

They're omnis, for one thing, which means good ambiance but no ability to
exclude unwanted noises (highways) of 'focus in' on a particular place.
Depending on your environment(s) this could be a negative.  They're
electrets, which I understand is to blame for their high inherent noise ~
which is probably unacceptable for the kind of work many people on the
list here do.

I love them: but I use them largely in spaces defined by human-generated
sound... which can get quite loud. The things that make them ideal for my
endeavors may not matter to you (extreme portability, stealth...).

Feel free to write me off list if you have any specific questions... and
btw, I have a small DIY section that talks about the pros and cons of
recording with a setup like mine, on my 'links/resources' page.

Best regards,
 aaron

  http://www.quietamerican.org