Introductions

Subject: Introductions
From: Brian McWilliams <>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 17:33:52 -0700 (PDT)
Hi, I thought I'd quickly introduce myself. My
interest in recording natural, environmental sounds
stems from writing music. I compose ambient,
experimental music and also retreat to the outdoors to
find my center whenever possible. Now, natural sounds
are starting to influence the direction the music is
taking.

I've just started getting into this aspect of
recording and use a Sharp minidisc player and a Rode
NT1 mic. I'm hoping to learn more about the various
equipment and how to improve at this art form - it is
a very rewarding field to explore. Last weekend, my
writing partner and I found ourselves wondering
through the woods until 4:00 am recording the frogs
that were out due to the moderate temperatures. What a
blast!

Anyways, that's a good start. I'm sure this has been
discussed over and over again - I'm eager to purchase
a stereo mic and have been trying to decide which way
to go. Audio Technica has a reasonably priced mic and
then there's the Rode stereo mic which just came out.
Any opinions on these or others? I want to stay within
$400 if possible.

Thanks and glad to be here,

Brian
http://www.remanence.org