Re: Intro &Questions

Subject: Re: Intro &Questions
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 01:58:46 -0700 (PDT)
> look for direct Wav recording  - portable HD recorders). I'm little bit
> sceptical about transfer from MD to computer (only analog output, ATRAC
> compression...).

FWIW, you can probably pick up a used component MD deck (eg Sony JB920,
which I have used, or similar models like the JB930, JB940...) with
digital SPDIF coaxial I/O on eBay cheaply.

> 2.Can I use Sennheiser ME series with Sony MZ-R30 (or with Creative Nomad
> Jukebox 3 later).

NB: consumer MD decks do *not* provide phantom power; they do provide
'plug-in power' for electret mics. Generally speaking if a microphone
terminates in a stereo 1/8" miniplug it's a good indication that is
compatable with a consumer MD deck like the Sony. I trust you saw the
discussion today of portable units that would provide phantom power...

Btw I would choose the MZ-R50 or MZ-R37 over the R30. I personally prefer
Sharp decks but I own several MZ-R50s (eBay: about US$75 if you're
patient) and they are *very* robust and reliable.  The MZ-R37 (eBay: about
US$50 if you're patient) have the advantage (?) of taking AA batteries
directly (useful if you're in the field for a long time away from a place
to recharge!) but the interface is not as nice as the R50.

Best regards,
 aaron

  http://www.quietamerican.org