Re: 24/96

Subject: Re: 24/96
From: "evertveldhuis" <>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 23:37:36 -0000
Besides ATRAC there are other components in the signal chain that
have influence on the quality of the recording.

I think of:
1 - recording location / situation (indoors, outdoors,
weatherconditions, distance from source to mic, disturbing and
unwanted sounds)
2 - microphone
3 - preamp
4 - AD Convertor (applies only if recorder is digital)
5 - Recorder (wax, tape, MP3, DAT, ATRAC, CD, memorychip, and the
like)
6 - DA Convertor (applies only if recorder is digital)
7 - AMP
8 - Headphones or loudspeakers
9 - listening situation (indoors, outdoors, weatherconditions,
distance from source to ear, disturbing and unwanted sounds)

The numbers 1 to 5 are the ones we have the most influence in, as
recordist. I really wonder if number 5 is *that* much important
compared to the influence of the numbers 1, 2 (and 3)

Personally I think not, I think that the quality improvent made by
having *the* best recorder is only justified if everything else is.

Might I add another BIG influence ; your recording skills...

Regards, Evert - If noise free sounds are that important, just
synthesize them...