Re: Albert Lyrebird recording

Subject: Re: Albert Lyrebird recording
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 17:23:34 -0700 (PDT)
> I cannot access your Albert Lyrebird sound.  Twice I downloaded the file =
of
> 918 kb (each time took 6 minutes) but all I got for my trouble was a blan=
> page icon, which I double clicked, only to get a blank screen of Internet
> Explorer.  I could see the sonagram, but got no sound no matter what butt=
ons

Vicki,

Can you play other MP3s without a problem?  I just checked and the file
still works fine from here, a different machine from when I first listened
to it.

The behavior you describe is consistent with not having an application
configured to automatically play MP3s from within your browser, but given
that you're on a Mac I would expect Quicktime to automatically play it.
The 'blank screen' you see is consistent with Quicktime; it's the only app
I know that (foolishly IMO) shows a blank page, by default with a control
strip with transport controls, when handling MP3s.

Is Quicktime playing other MP3s correctly?  (If you need one there a tons
around my site, try:

 http://www.quietamerican.org/vacation.html

for a short one at the top...)

Best regards,
 aaron

PS and of course, you're sure that the speakers are hooked up... on... you
can hear other system noises, or play MP3s with an offline player?

  http://www.quietamerican.org