re:Marantz

Subject: re:Marantz
From: "Martyn Stewart" <>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 20:15:54 -0700
The Lyrebird was sitting on a limb in this huge aviary about 30ft up in
the air, it was a Sunday morning and I had the whole place to myself, it
was wonderful, I have about 30 mins of the same bird with the occasional
others piping in, "Did you need a pop screen as it was singing to the
mic? No but it was like he had his own dressing room and stage to
perform on!
The aviary was an opened enclosure with now walls to bounce the sound
back off, it was pure luck, this is more confirmation that a lot of good
recordings are made on a Sunday morning as many of you have said before.
Doug, the mic is an AT4071A shotgun, the bloke I bought it of told me
they used these on the David Letterman show and on a lot of outdoor
productions, they have terrific reach and quality, I am one of those
people who don't really look at the specs too close, as I have said
before, the only way to test out your equipment is get out there and
just do it!! I listen to some of those recordings that Bernie has on his
Wild soundscapes cd and think, my God, that's fantastic and yet some
were done on extremely cheap mics that some of the "Hair Splitters" of
this group would say, that's not possible. I would love to see more
people putting up examples of their equipment in this way, because some
of the "lamens" of this group including me, can listen and judge for
oneself :-)
Thanks for the compliments but it was the Bird, honest!!

Martyn Stewart