Re: sound devices 744 power

Subject: Re: sound devices 744 power
From: "oryoki2000" <>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 05:35:17 -0000
Regarding the camcorder battery used
to power the new Sound Devices 744T,
Walter Knapp wrote:

> ...The internal HD means we are back to spinning
> a motor, however. So the capacity of the NP500
> series battery will be severely tested. There are
> several capacities available, but I think the
> biggest current one would not even be as much
> as the 2000mah available by using NIMH AA's...

My Sony NP series camcorder battery is rated at
5400mAh. It's sufficient to run the camcorder for
many hours.  Canon also sells a 5500mAh battery
for its camcorders.

This is more power than the typical laptop computer
battery (about 4000mAh). So I'll *guess* that one
such battery could power the Sound Devices
recorder for about three hours. (Most laptop
batteries are good for about 2.5 hours, including
powering the LCD display.)

--oryoki