Re: flash memory

Subject: Re: flash memory
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 15:40:06 +0000
It is true that 10GB in this form factor is not available yet, however, in=

the microdrive ( generic rather than the IBM brand ) 5GB are available and=

I expect to see 10GB in the next 12 months. CF is up to 2GB, with rapid
increases planned by many manufacturers who we are currently working with.=

There has been some major changes in CF production recently, involving
piggy backing chips, which allows for much larger capacities.
As far as maximum file sizes are concerned - 4GB is the maximum limit for
a FAT32 file system. As we can only currently test this in the lab, the
plan is actually just to start a new file when the limit is reached - so
that the two are actually one continuous recording once put back together
in an editor. In terms of actual recording time, a 4GB file would equate
to 5 hours in uncompressed linear PCM, and 10 hours at 384kbps MP2.

Matt Jarvis
Product Marketing Manager
Marantz Professional Europe

"flawn1951" <>
2003-03-27 14:52
Please respond to naturerecordists

        cc:     (bcc: Matt Jarvis/LGD/CE/PHILIPS)
        Subject:        [Nature Recordists] flash memory
        Classification:

For anyone considering the Marantz 670 or any other such recorder
that might come along, here's a link to an interesting infosheet on
solid state CompactFlash memory vs. MicroDrive CF format hard drives:

http://www.d-store.com/d-
store/microtech/ibmmicrodrive/microdrive_or_compaxctflash.htm

It's written more with digital camera users in mind, but many of the
points of comparison will be germane to audio recorders too.

Also, the Marantz press releases refer to storage options as high as
10 GB, but so far in regular retail channels the biggest I see is 1
GB (both in Microdrives and in solid state memory). At equivalent
data reduction rates, that's equal to about 8 minidiscs per card.

A potential selling point for the Marantz, if the answer is right:
what's the longest single uninterrupted recording (at 384 kbps or
linear) the unit can make? Nature recordists like to be able to
record for long stretches.....