Handling travel luggage and recording equipment?

Subject: Handling travel luggage and recording equipment?
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 10:08:37 -0500
Hi  Two weeks ago, I last wrote:

"NOTE: Apropos of nothing else, and in order to see greenery and bare
ground again, Nancy and I will be away from the Internet, in Kauai
snorkeling and hiking, from March 10 through 19th.  So aloha all!"

And we DID spend a wonderful time sight-seeking, recording, hiking and
visiting with David Kuhn, fellow nature recordist extraordinaire, on Kauai,
in the famous Alaka'i Swamp and nearby Koke'e Cabins and Lodge.  This may
be the only state park in USA where the concession sells mixed drinks!  It
is certainly the only one where you can see and hear I'iwi and Kauai
Amakihi on one hike.  The vacation was absolutely wonderful - full bore.
Loads of plant photos and recordings and snorkeling adventures and whale
sightings.

And we have been back since Thursday the 20th, struggling to read all the
150 plus posts on this group in the interim.  But, sadly, our luggage has
not yet returned, including my PortaDisc and all my mics.  But NOT my
pictures and sounds.

You might recall we are trying out the ship-instead-of-carry luggage plan,
offered by www.skybrations.com .

Well, things could hardly have gone more wrongly, as the recent DHL web
tracking appended shows.  We called DHL on March 19th 11 AM Hawaii time to
pick up our luggage ASAP in Poipu, Kauai, HI and then drove off to the
airport.  Three very professional United Airlines flights (and one
presidential war-declaration) later, we rescued our car for cash from the
high-priced parking lot and drove home to a much nicer temperature regime
than what we left - daily 35 to 60 deg. F.   Then the wait began.

First sign of trouble, we got a distressed email from our hotel - a
terrific, modestly-priced well-placed set of units called the Poipu
Plantation Resort, at southern tip of Kauai, within sight of humpbacks
breaching -- that the 55 lb suitcase was still sitting there!  Apparently
DHL called them and asked: Is the bag unlocked?

Now, folks, at this point in the story, let me assure you that you would be
one foolish traveller if you told the bell captain with whom you are
leaving your luggage for pickup that that bag was UNLOCKED. But that is
whom DHL asked.

To resume - the hotel person said - no it's locked.  So DHL refused pickup.

So now, folks, we have an unlocked bag full of audio gear, not to mention
personal items and clothes, sitting 5200 miles from home with no hope.  An
angry flurry of phone calls to DHL and skybrations, yes it is actually
unlocked, why ask the damn hotel anyway? etc. etc.

Skybrations claims this has never happened before - and they have probably
blown their entire commission on the transactions with long distance phone
calls to managers of increasing seniority in DHL.  They plan to drop the
carrier for all future transactions.  My wife's (large) testing lab has
already dropped DHL from their frequent-flyer-shippers list.

But the bottom line?  Yesterday NPR ran a story about the latest terrorist
threat: introduction of biological and or biochemical toxins in FRUIT
destined for import into the lower 48.  Thinking about that, I well recall
that at the Lihuy (pronounced Li-hoo'-ey) airport TSA security was far more
interested in three tangerines, bought the previous day at the IGA in
Waimea, than in our headphones and optical gear.  In fact, they confiscated
them!  Think about that: three California tangerines exported to Hawaiian
islands, confiscated on being re-introduced into San Francisco, California.
And we biologists mistakenly thought it was CONTINENTAL invasives that are
RUINING THE ISLANDS!  It did seem totally non-sensical; now, perhaps,
slightly less so.

So I am about to conclude that incompetence at DHL may have nothing to do
with most of the delay trouble.  The bag, it seems, despite being "paid for
freight" was X-rayed and opened for inspection in Oahu, after sitting in a
warehouse for several days "According to FAA inspection".  DHL won't give
the details in writing, but I have a verbal answering machine message
apologizing to us for the gross inconvenience.   Political aside: I am now
cynically becoming a "Bush-watcher", seeing how expensive are the hoops the
USA government jumps through with each new "terrorist intelligence
leakage".  But, hey, it's not HIS money.

We are told by DHL they "are committed to a noon delivery" - nothing in
writing, just a verbal on my answering machine, about an "overnight" that
has already taken seven days and still counting.  We fortunately have a
thorough list of the contents.  "Noon" does seem unlikely if the bag just
arrived in Cincinnati only 8 hours ago.

The potential take-home equipment-shipping lessons?
1. You cannot now lock your SHIPPED parcels.  DHL says all inspections are
performed in secure rooms with videotapes rolling.
2. They are subject to X-ray just as powerful (penetrating lead bags, too)
as luggage X-rays (I am not 100% sure on this one).  Since our discussion a
month ago I have heard the rumor that the BBC lost months of shooting when
their film batch was ruined in lead bags by baggage X-rays.
3. "Overnight" instead of meaning "two days plus any weekend days", may now
mean seven or eight days.
4. The rules of package engagement change after you have bought and
committed and paid for the service.

But, as Corey says: "Dad, it could have been on the trip OUT." ;^)

my best regards,

Marty Michener
MIST Software Associates PO Box 269, Hollis, NH 03049

EnjoyBirds.com  - Software that migrates with you.    http://www.EnjoyBirds.com

9248324691 - - Detailed Report Date Time Location Service Area Checkpoint
Details
March 19, 2003 11:00 Poipu, Kauai, HI called for immediate pickup,
overnight delivery.
March 21, 2003 14:24 Lihue, HI - USA Shipment picked up
March 21, 2003 17:36 Lihue, HI - USA Departing origin
March 21, 2003 17:00 Lihue, HI - USA Transferred through Lihue - USA
March 22, 2003 11:51 Honolulu, HI - USA Transferred through Honolulu - USA
March 25, 2003 13:17 Los Angeles Gateway, CA - USA Departed from DHL
facility in Los Angeles Gateway - USA
March 25, 2003 20:08 San Diego, CA - USA Arrived at DHL facility in San
Diego - USA
March 25, 2003 20:13 San Diego, CA - USA Departed from DHL facility in San
Diego - USA
March 25, 2003 21:18 Phoenix, AZ - USA Arrived at DHL facility in Phoenix -
USA
March 25, 2003 21:20 Phoenix, AZ - USA Departed from DHL facility in
Phoenix - USA
March 26, 2003 02:21 Cincinnati Hub, OH - USA Arrived at DHL facility in
Cincinnati Hub - USA