Re: new Marantz PMD670 flash memory recorder

Subject: Re: new Marantz PMD670 flash memory recorder
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 17:32:08 -0500
oryoki2000 wrote:

> Specs indicate that CompactFlash memory and Microdrive hard discs are
> the supported media.  Reading between the lines, I'd guess this means
> that the 670 has a CompactFlash Type 2 memory slot, rather than the
> larger Type 3/pcmcia slot in the 680/690.

Type 3 seems to be going away, just like the newer slots will be
replaced in a few more years. I'm in that problem already with my
digital camera which uses Type 3's. Luckily I stocked up.

> CompactFlash capacities have risen sharply in the last few months,
> and prices have fallen.  A 1GB Type 1 card now costs about $250,
> about 25% of the price a year ago.  A 1GB card will hold about 1.5
> hours of CD-quality 16/44.1 uncompressed stereo WAV files; 3 to 5
> times longer (4.5 to 7.5 hours) using MPEG 1 Level 2 compression
> (MP2); and 10 times longer (15 hours) using lossy MP3 compression.
>
> That distant rumbling I hear must be the defenders of all things
> minidisc clearing their throats.  So let me add for the record that,
> yes, a $1 minidisc also holds 80 minutes of ATRAC-compressed stereo
> audio.  And, yes, the original minidisc recording will serve as the
> archival copy, while the CompactFlash recording will have to be
> copied to a computer so the expensive CompactFlash can be re-used.
> The process is just like transferring photos from a digital camera to
> computer.

We have been over this ground. All the eggs in one fragile basket vs a
highly durable optical disk format with more individual units. Time will
tell how often people loose a entire trip's recordings when one bit goes
astray.

> The 670 is probably lighter than the Portadisc (the similar PMD690 is
> 1/3 lighter (1.5 lb less)). And the 670 is arguably more rugged--
> equipped with CompactFlash memory, it has no moving parts.

So it has a 1.2mm thick steel case instead of plastic? And is the inner
frame metal or plastic? Note as far as long term rugged that each time
you plug in that memory you are directly wearing out a set of
lightweight electrical contacts. So, no moving parts is not the only
thing that goes into being rugged.

> The 670 offers more flexibility in recording, from uncompressed DAT
> quality WAV to very compressed MP3, versus minidisc's ATRAC only.  If
> you're happy with the way your minidisc recordings sound, then no
> worries here.

Before you get too happy with DAT quality, remember it's a fixed 16bit
format, less dynamic range available than the 24 bit range that currrent
ATRAC gets by bit shifting. If you worship dynamic range, that is.

I feel the sound quality of the Portadisc matches the MKH mics well. So,
until there is a improvement in mics significantly above the MKH mics
and people use them, quality is probably not that big a issue. When
people talk like sound quality matters with their recorder and use low
end mics it does cause me to wonder. And I see that a lot.

> And the 670 transfers its recorded files to and from a computer
> faster (5 minutes vs 60 minutes for a 1 hour recording using
> Portadisc), which is good since you'll be doing it regularly with the
> PMD670.
>
> My suspicion is that if you're coming to the world of digital
> recording from a computer background, you'll like the PMD670.  And if
> you're from the world of analog recording and DAT, you'll like the
> minidisc approach since you handle and catalog minidiscs just like
> tapes.

Or maybe we don't want to cart a computer on trips. I've done that, not
at all what I'd want to be carting to some far corner of the world.

> I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the PMD670 to see if it
> performs as well as it looks on paper.

We'll see. Buy one, and report back.