Re: Re: mono-compatibility, stereo recording on the run

Subject: Re: Re: mono-compatibility, stereo recording on the run
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 22:34:02 -0500
Rich Peet wrote:
> Good luck.
> I bet as you experiment your jecklin disk will get fat too.
> As I mentioned mine is 8" thick now and actually I have a piece of
> plywood in the center as well.  The idea of a jecklin didn't ever
> really work on paper and the sound I have not been able to get to
> work either.  You end up after using your ears to have either a fat
> center or a .25 inch separation.  Play with it a while and you will
> see what I mean.

As you thicken the disk, you introduce assorted soundpath effects that
will be like comb filtering. The fact it's a square block instead of a
sphere also introduces anomalies.

Once you get the thick center near the mics you start to pick up
boundary effects.

At the distance apart you use and the thickness of the center, it's
really unrelated to a jecklin disk and is not one of the head spaced
setups. Probably closer related to the shoeps sphere which is 8" dia.

If I remember correctly the original jecklin disk used wool fleece for
it's sound absorber, with a solid center, you need a good acoustic
barrier and foam by itself is not considered enough. And it was the
dimensions I gave. The headspacing is necessary to preserve stereo cues.
In music the jecklin disk is considered to work best in rooms of average
to short reverberation. Not sure how that applies to nature recording.