Re: Any Advice Recording Wood Frogs?

Subject: Re: Any Advice Recording Wood Frogs?
From: "M, J, & V Phinney" <>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 22:48:39 -0700
Chiming in a bit late here, but most of what you've heard seems correct to
me. Here at 56N 120W, wood frogs are the most common amphibian. They
normally start to get active around mid-April and will have largely called
it quits by early May. The whole cycle is affected by early or late spring
(pushing things up or back by as much as 2 weeks). Any one pond seems to be
really active for about a week, and you can extend your recording
opportunities by chasing down the colder sites that lag behind the peak (e.g
higher elevation ponds). The chorus can be overwhelming at times...id
examples may be best obtained from single frogs later in the season. For
'sensitivity', they are more wary during the day, and either see or feel (or
both) human intruders and clam up for quite some time. There shouldn't be
any trouble with scaring (or recording) them from 10m away, however. They
are even more approachable at night. Once they're on to you, you may as well
leave & come back half hour later. During the peak time, they seem to call
from dusk until long into the night. There are a few ponds within a couple
hundred metres of my house, and for a few weeks I am treated to a raucous,
quacking serenade. Only a month and a bit away, but for now it's still the
land of ice & snow.

Mark Phinney