Computer Editing

Subject: Computer Editing
From: "mijdog2000 <>" <>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 02:12:33 -0000
Hi all
I am new to the group and enjoy reading all the advice you "pros"
give out.
I have been recording bird song for maybe 15 years on all kinds of
formats and have lived in Scotland, Spain and Australia. I now live
in the USA and must admit it's a great place to get equipment but
very short on real advice unless you play in a band or sing Rap!!!
I have obviously had to learn my North American bird stuff and the
various CD'S and tapes out there are great for starts, The Stokes
series and the Petersons bird guides are excellent, I have been an
admirer of Bernie Krause and Lang Elliot in their skills and have
read most of what has been said in the group, Bernie's "Wild
Soundscapes" book is very informative with some great tips and
advice for all people, professional or not and Lang's recordings are
terrific from the cd's, my question to you all is now in this
computer age, what do you use for editing? Some of Lang's recordings
have a somewhat "reverb" sound to them like the sound you get in the
bathroom when singing (not rap)
Is there also a way to cut out some of the low noise pollution from
distant traffic etc? and is there a school you can go to that
teaches you these fundamentals? It's a long day from cutting and
splicing tapes!! I knew a bloke down in Australia who had the same
kind of sounds Lang has and what he did with his final cut was just
beautiful but unfortunately he moved on. Looking forward to your
response

Martyn