Re: Lang's Telinga Stereo Setup

Subject: Re: Lang's Telinga Stereo Setup
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 12:37:50 -0500
Lang Elliott wrote:
> Mine are set in a bit because that was necessary given the setup I created.
> However, if I make the receiving tube longer and glue a rubber gasket inside
> to hold the rear of the mikes firmly, I could certainly extend them out to
> the edge of the parabola. I'll probably do this for the coming season.

I'd try them in various positions before pinning it down. If possible
you probably want a little flex in position. The sort of sound you get
on loud frog choruses is adjustable by changing the setting. Probably
make some difference with birds too. I expect it will be the same with
the MKH-20's.

I'm going to machine parts to try a somewhat different boundary mic
system using the MKH-20's to test with both the Telinga and the 30"
dish. If it works out I might build up a pair of MKH-110's for use with
a dish. I'm highly interested in the sound you get with yours to compare.

My morning was spent on more down to earth things. If you need brushes
for a ford alternator, don't go to the dealer. They don't sell the
brushes alone, but only in combo with the voltage regulator, to the tune
of $80. My local discount parts place had the brushes alone for much,
much less. So, I'm all set for another frog foray, leaving tomorrow
morning for a couple days along the GA/SC border mapping Brimley's
Chorus Frogs. See how far up along the border they go on the SC side of
the river, then work back along the GA side to try and see if there are
still any on our side. The area down near Savannah where they were found
was pretty built up. But they have been reported farther upriver.