Re: Cheap Stereo

Subject: Re: Cheap Stereo
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 19:14:29 -0500
Gregory Kunkel wrote:
> I have been lurking in this forum for some time but I
> always felt that I was way out of my league.
> I have been trying to entice people into the nature
> recording hobby with advice on cheap,home made
> recording gear. In fact I feel my parabolic plans are
> the father of Walt's homemade rig.
>
> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/G_Kunkel/microphone.htm

That explains where the drawing I started from came from. It was one I
had in a folder of misc drawings with nothing to tell where it came
from. I just redrew the parts to match the design I had rather than
doing a new drawing. It's a straightforward approach that I've seen in a
few forms over the years. The Telinga, with it's central hole leads
itself to this. It's also too thin to support bolting brackets on the dish.

> The recent discussion of stero recording stimulated me
> to look into the cheap approach to stereo recording.
> The kind that a high school student doing a science
> project might be able to afford.
>
> So I did my usual thing. I went down to the local
> Radio Shack and wandered around. I came upon a product
> called Stereo Clip-on Microphone. (33-3028)
> http://support.radioshack.com/support_audio/59476.htm
>
> It is two electrect capsules connected to an 1/8in
> stereo plug that plugs into a controller that contains
> a battery and outputs two mono 1/8 in plugs. My guess
> was that the controller put out phantom power to the
> two electrets. I plunked down $30 and took the
> microphone home and plugged the stereo plug into my
> Sony MZ-R70 MD and it knocked my socks off. I now plan
> to mount it into my homemade parabola and start
> experimenting with stero.
> Does anybody have experience with this microphone.

It would be well to not call it phantom power. That has a specific
meaning and it's a 48 volt system. But, yes, the battery in the
controller is powering them, or some other part of the system.

Small electret's like these generally have a self noise in the 25 - 30dB
range, they did not give a noise spec that I could find. This will mean
they will not tolerate a lot of amplification before the self noise will
become evident. Which will limit the practical pickup range. Out bare
they should work ok if close enough, or the sounds you want are loud enough=
.

Mounting in the parabola is a way around this. The parabola provides
gain before the sound get's to the mic. As you probably gathered from
our discussions of stereo with a parabola the tricky bit will be
determining just how far apart to separate the two mics.