Re: Crossed shotgun stereo rig

Subject: Re: Crossed shotgun stereo rig
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 11:03:53 -0500
Marty Michener wrote:
> I posted this message around 2 PM  Friday and Yahoo bounced it back to me=

> claiming they would not post it because my ISP was slow delivering other=

> mail they had sent.  So this disqualifies me as a poster? - I guess so.  =
My
> other three Yahoo groups, too.
> So I resent it six hours later. No soap. Now I am resending it  17 hours=

> later.  Try, try again. :^)
> NB: I am cc. Doug directly in case Yahoo still has my accounts screwed up=
.

Note that there have been posts in other groups on this. Apparently
Yahoo is reorganizing their groups server setup, and outages like this
have turned up in a spotty manner for over a week. So, they are not
specifically out to cut you off, Marty.

I do know that Yahoo does have a timer on downloading files off group
areas. And if you have a modem connection and the file is larger than a
meg there is a good chance they will cut you off. I found that out
trying to download the service manual for my shortwave radio that's in
the stuff associated with that radio's group.

> In the field, the handle projects down and slightly back of the Styrofoam=

> block, and it is covered with the same foam you can use as a cushion unde=
> rugs.  This foam de-couples hand noises from the rig handle.  The mics ar=
> additionally de-coupled as they lie in a foam bed, held in by rubber
> bands.  The unique thing about this rig is it holds the mics crossed near=

> their diaphragm locations, about 30 degrees angle apart.  In practice, th=
is
> can be adjusted by how the mic lies in the foam and how the rubber bands=

> are adjusted.

The one question I have is how did you determine the angle? Just trying
it or another of your arcane formulas? I've been thinking it's probably
what I will do with my two MKH-816's. Though the thing that's slowing me
down there is figuring out how I'm going to do a full zepplin style
windscreen, which also involves the suspension. Foam covers definitely
don't cut it with the MKH-816's, but a zepplin does work, I have a old
mono one that fits one of them.