Re: The SongFinder

Subject: Re: The SongFinder
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 21:55:24 -0500
Lang Elliott wrote:
> NEWS FLASH!
>
> If anybody in this group has high frequency hearing loss and cannot hear the
> high pitched birds and insects, then you must check out the new SongFinder,
> a Digital Bird Song Hearing Device:
>
> www.naturesound.com/songfinder/songfinder.html
>
> As many of you know, I myself have severe high frequency deafness and I have
> been active for years in developing a solution to my own problem. The
> SongFinder is the invention of myself and my engineer partner Herb Susmann.

I've been fortunate to retain some of my high frequency hearing, but it
is slowly getting worse. I'm ok on the highest frog frequency around
here, which is close to 8000hz. But, I know I miss out on some of the
insects. I'll see the meter bouncing away and not hear what it is.

I noted that the plus has a heterodyne setup. It would be nice to see it
extended to cover the full bat range. Kind of a separate use, but it
would help to justify the cost. Frequency dividers for bat detection
also go to higher divisions, like in the range of by 10 to by 20. I've
been eyeing these two sites:
http://www.batsound.com/psondet.html
http://www.laartech.biz/Products/Ultasoundgate/ultasoundgate.html

Also is it possible to tap this into your recorder to monitor while
recording? Or record?

Neat idea in any case.