Re: sennheiser me 67 handling noises

Subject: Re: sennheiser me 67 handling noises
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 10:18:44 -0500
At 11:31 AM 2/25/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>There's the following problem with my M'E 67:
>I recorded mostly with a pistol grip but it made the micro moving up and
>down very fast and those movements often got out of control. That was this
>rattling noise I told you about.
>So, I started recording without that pistol grip just with my hand on the
>mic.
>It's such difficult to avoid handling noises without a pistol grip that I
>wonder whether it is possible to cut that low rumbling sound out of the
>recording with an equalizer.
>Or is that impossible?
>It also appears when I move my hand a little bit or also when my hand just
>lays on the mic, you know what I mean.
>Ok, that's normal for those mics but how to avoid it?
>Or cutting off with an equalizer?
>
>my best
>
>Phil

Dear Phil:

There is a diagram on my web site which may help, although they were drawn=

six years ago for the ME-66, I have adapted them easily to the longer
ME-67.  The main modification is use a longer dowel - say 22 inches, than
shown. The instructions on the GIF file were for someone to whom I was
shipping/ loaning the mic, so please bear with it.

http://www.enjoybirds.com/howitworks/microp.gif

The key to the hand-noise reduction is making acoustical contacts that
radically change impedance (sound velocity x density) through several
transitions.  We all know how hard it is to couple vibrations in solids
adequately to air, so the idea is to use this failure to couple to isolate=

vibrations from the mic.  Your hand (near solid, high acoustic impedance)
holds the foam (lots of gas, very low impedance).
The foam is glued to the oak dowel (solid).  On the dowel is mounted
several rolls of foam around the mic.  So the vibrations of the dowel must=

pass though more foam (gas, low impedance) to the solid mic, high impedance=

again.

Each such layer passage loses much of the sounds, so your body muscle hum
and wrist creaks simply do not get to the mic body any more.

This is a lot of talk about a very simple setup, costing less than a
dollar, which can be turned around and used to pack the mic in a backpack,=

affording some mechanical protection.  But the picture, as they say . . .

This setup is so noise proof I still use it for recording while walking.

my best regards,

Marty Michener
MIST Software Associates PO Box 269, Hollis, NH 03049

EnjoyBirds.com  - Software that migrates with you.    http://www.EnjoyBirds=
.com