Re: A little sound to cheer

Subject: Re: A little sound to cheer
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 20:53:27 -0500
Rich Peet  wrote:
> Thank you for the sound examples of different types of mics that
> there is no way I could afford.  In my ears there were clear winners
> and losers.  I look forward to more examples.  I wouldn't mind rating
> quality of sound by mono groups of each type. I bet in a blind vote
> it would come out by most with a similar quality rank.  Now the only
> faintfield Senn you seem to be missing overall is the mkh800 at
> $5,000 for a stereo pair.
> Go get it. :)

I'd really not try ranking the mics on just a couple site samples. I'll
try to put up some more from time to time. I'm sure in time I'll like
some better than others.

There is one of the MKH-800's on auction right now. Could be had for
about $1700 by the look of it and last I saw had not had a bid. The
MKH-80's are very similar, however. So I'm not really interested. I have
seen a MKH-800 go for $1200 on ebay.

I still lack any MKH-50 or MKH-70. Though I have the MKH-816's to use
where 70's might be used. And I'm not sure the MKH-50 would give me
anything useful.

Chris thought my recording a bunch of unimportant stuff. So I doubt he'd
approve of how I'm spending the remains of his college fund. But he cut
off any say when he put that bullet in his brain.