A little sound to cheer

Subject: A little sound to cheer
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 21:08:51 -0500
Marty Michener wrote:

  We are still fairly
> weather-limited in our ability in NH to perform field trials.  NO BARE
> GROUND or much bird sound yet.

Realizing that some folks are still skittering on the ice and buried in
snowdrifts I made a little recording two days ago to remind you spring
is on the way. Savannah NWR, just upstream from all the forest of
container cranes. Along their wildlife drive, open only during the day,
sigh.

A vast cattail marsh, with occasional long islands containing live oaks
and so on. Taken with the Portadisc and the Telinga with DAT Stereo.
Looking across about 250 yards of marsh to one of the islands from a
road dike, most of the activity from 100 yards to 200 yards. The dove up
along the island a ways. The highway 2 miles. Mid morning, Wind 4mph,
temp 70 degrees. Sound of the wind through all the dry vegetation is
audible. Note the filesize is about a meg, took my modem 8 minutes to
upload.

http://loscan.home.mindspring.com/SavannahNWR.mp3

Unlike most of my frog sites this one lacked the no trespassing sign,
just had the one that said don't feed the alligators.