Re: Synthetic Fur Source?

Subject: Re: Synthetic Fur Source?
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 15:01:42 -0500
Bruce wrote:
> I was just wondering if anyone has a source for small quantities of a good
> synthetic fur for making windscreens, and what to look for in the fur
> backing. All I found was teddy bear making suppliers.

I usually buy locally from the sewing stores. Check periodically to see
what they have.

I look for long, and preferably shaggy fur, it should not be stiff. And
check the backing. There I want knit, flexible, and pass as much light
as possible. The more elastic it is, the better so that it won't flop in
the wind.

Judging by the examples I have from rycote and sennheiser here, there is
no single right fur. Rycote makes a song and dance about how special
their fur is, but it varies all over the map. And more recent rycote
furry covers have a lining of tight weave nylon taffita in them. And
they still work. Sennheiser has longer fur on theirs. It's a sennheiser
fur here:
http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/docs/ms_mkh30+60.html
I had to cut that one down from a longer one and resew it.

You can also find the fur on ebay. Though it's harder to judge on the
basis of a description and photo.