Re: Portadisc source in USA?

Subject: Re: Portadisc source in USA?
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 18:03:35 -0500
oryoki2000  wrote:
> I need to purchase recording equipment to take to colleagues in South
> America.  They prefer the HHB Portadisc.  Can anyone suggest a USA
> source with good pricing?
>
> HHB offers a "Reporters Kit" that includes a Pelican case with custom
> foam insert.  It's about $200 extra and includes a microphone I don't
> need.  Is the protective case worth the extra money?

If you are buying just for the case, you can buy it separately a lot
cheaper. I think it's a 1450 pelican case with custom cut foam. You can
get a case with uncut foam here:

http://www.all-pelican-cases-4-less.com/detail_pelican_1450.html

The recorder by itself might fit in the 1400 case, I could check as I
have one of those if anyone is interested:

http://www.all-pelican-cases-4-less.com/detail_pelican_1400.html

Note in cases that PortaBrace now has a custom field case for the
Portadisc, the AR-MD500, list price $159. There's a photo here:
http://www.portabrace.com/asp/ProdDesc.asp?DescCode=ARC

I got one of these cases, and it's certainly a very big step up from the
included case and strap. You can pretty much do everything with the
Portadisc without removing the case, including changing batteries. In
addition to the front pocket (good for about 4 minidiscs) there is a
larger thin pocket on the back. You could put a MP2 in there
(awkwardly), I use it to hold the spare battery pac and my field note
cards. The tunnel on the end gives access to all the connectors, on the
opposite end it's got a flap for the disk slot and charging. Though I
was not happy to see it, there is even a grill over the speaker.

All of this in heavy, multilayer Cordura, with a heavy vinyl window. The
strap is super heavy duty, PortaBrace's usual padded leather style.

You can order them direct, or from Maurice Stith, or lots of other
places. Don't know best price right now.