Re: Speaker test

Subject: Re: Speaker test
From: "evertveldhuis <>" <>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 20:57:34 -0000
--- In  Dan Dugan <> wrote:
> >This programs works great, total control over the sound.  I will
not
> >be needing any more files, thanks to everyone.
> >Gerald
>
> Be very careful running sine sweeps on speakers. Use a level like -
20
> dBFS or lower. Sine waves don't sound very loud but pack a lot of
> power. It's easy to fry your tweeters with a sweep.
>
> -Dan Dugan

Also be careful, if you can't hear a sine above 15 kHz for instance,
it is more then likely your ears aren't hearing it; do not crank it
up, I did once and had to replace my beloved tweeters :(

I had to listen to my music without tweeters for a few weeks. It
sounded horriful, that sound hurted me more than the cost of two new
tweeters.

By the way, personally I test speakers with pink noise, that tells me
a lot about their overall sound / balance. And then I use some solo
things like acoustic guitar and spoken word. It is with spoken words,
or accapella singing, both done by males and females that the true
sound of the speaker is heard where it counts the most - according to
me. But by all means, listen to soundsamples that you are very
familiar with, both at low volume, normal volume and high volume.

Regards, Evert

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:23:19 2005
Message: 3