Re: DAT to new iMac

Subject: Re: DAT to new iMac
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 18:13:50 -0500
Vicki Powys wrote:

> I have been wondering, with the newer iMacs such as the one John Gamman asks
> about, just how one would easily input analogue sound through the USB input
> socket, there being no stereo mini-socket any more.
>
> Is there some kind of inexpensive adapter that one can use to turn a
> miniplug into a USB plug?  Or have Apple made a big mistake in discontinuing
> the stereo mini-socket on the iMac?  Surely one does not need to buy an
> expensive hardware unit when an adapter cable should do?

USB is a serial port. So you need something containing a A/D converter.

For just doing analog only, here's probably the cheapest solution:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/

>>>2. What software do I need (what is easy to use and affordable in Apple OSX
>>>format) for importing and editing?
>>

> In my iMac I am using Peak LE VST, highly recommended, it does everything I
> need.  I also have Waves Q10 noise reduction VST plug in, that works
> brilliantly with Peak LE VST.  Both of these programs are very reasonably
> priced, especially in US dollar terms.  I use plain Toast for burning CDs,
> haven't tried Jam, but Toast does all you should need and probably comes
> free with Peak.  Actually, there is a new noise reduction program from Waves
> - "Sound Soap", designed especially for OS X.  I only have OS 9, and haven't
> tried Sound Soap.  Has anyone else tried it?

SoundSoap is from bias. It came in with the latest update I have to
Peak, but as that's a OSX version I've not tried it yet. It appears to
be another "trainable" noise reduction. In these you sample the noise
and the software will remove the same noise throughout the piece. They
help, but are not magic. And if applied with a heavy hand really mess
the sound up. I've been using a similar one that's part of Spark XL.