Re: Nagra Alternative

Subject: Re: Nagra Alternative
From: Mark Griswold <>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 17:58:39 -0800

> "I saw a prototype at AES (and was completely
> unimpressed)"
>
> Very curious to know why. I am certainly not a Sony salesman - in fact I have
> grievances with the company. But on paper the P-01 looks like a breath of
> fresh
> air in the broadcast location field - with good potential for high end nature
> work. So I would certainly be keen to know why I shouldn't buy one?

Hi Tom,

There are some very appealing features about the P-01 (the digital outs and
programable compressor are certainly novel); however, I feel that some very
important features were left off, possibly to make room inside, and possibly
because I only got to see a prototype.

I talked with a gentleman at the Sony booth and came away feeling like the
unit had been designed by someone who had never worked in the field, but had
desigined the P-01 to be what someone in the field *should* want.

I think that the Sound Devices 4 channel ENG mixer reflects more "real
world" needs and offers far more useful features (for less money) and so
that's what I ended up buying. And I absolutely love it!!!

PLUS, dealing with Sound Devices (re: mods & upgrades) is easy. Those guys
are the nicest ever. Have you ever tried to deal with Sony?

But wait, this is starting to sound like a discussion for
rec.audio.movies.production.sound....

Take care,
Mark