Re: Lunatec Preamp/24 bits

Subject: Re: Lunatec Preamp/24 bits
From: Jeremiah Moore <>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 12:22:36 -0800
I use the MK012s as an X-Y pair, in cardioid.  It's designed to be
quick to set up, and hand-holdable if desired.

The main issue with greater than 16bit/48k in the field seems to be
actually recording the data.  There are good portable devices that
will provide the signal.  Laptop would do it of course, but far too
cumbersome to set up and use in many situations.  I think this will
be changing soon.  Already the professional market is there: Nagra,
HHB portadrive, Aaton, Deva.

As for the question of sample rate:  I hear a greater quality
increase with increased bit depth than I do with increased sample
rate.

Capturing more bits at the original source is best:  in post
production, you're going to be processing that signal, bringing the
level up, maybe some compression, limiting, EQ.  The more detailed
information going in, and the more detail stored along the way, the
more detail left over at the end of the process.  24bit converter
being dithered to 16 bits and recorded that way can offer equivalent
resolution to 18-bit or so, the experts say, and seem to have reasons
to back that up.

-jeremiah