Re: MP3 security problem with Windows XP

Subject: Re: MP3 security problem with Windows XP
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 17:13:13 -0500
Marty Michener wrote:
> Recordists who use XP:
>
> Yes, believe it or not, no hoax, under the worst conditions (a hacker
> creates a malicious MP3 file which you DL from a web site) by merely
> hovering your cursor over an MP3 file it could destroy your system files =
or
> reformat your hard disc. <snip>

I've come to believe that if you can imagine a way that a OS can mess up
that Microsoft has put it in their OS. Nothing surprises me anymore,
except that anyone still uses this OS. I'd expect at least a report or
two of angry mobs rampaging through Microsoft's campus. Go to Seattle,
cross Lake Washington on the 520 floating bridge, look to the right
about a mile or so after the bridge for those of you wanting to join in.

For those with macs, or unix this is no problem. Except I guess we will
have to be nice to the cripple OS and keep name lengths short enough.

Marty, did you find out the hard way? And have you worked out just how
long the name needs to be to set it off? I have data in the mp3's on my
website, would hate to do this to anybody.