Re: Telinga with MKH20

Subject: Re: Telinga with MKH20
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 18:15:46 -0500
 wrote:
> In a message dated 1/13/03 12:24:16 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>  writes:
>

>>Because they are so low in self noise, you can get a little more gain
>>from the MKH-20 by using a external mic pre like the Sound Devices MP2 I=

>>use. I use a 15 dB attenuating cable between the pre and portadisc and
>>

> Dear Walt,
>
> Does this mean that you use a 15dB boost when using the Portadisc? Is thi=
> when you are using the MKH-20 without a Parabolic dish? Our do you need t=
he
> gain even when combining the dish with the MKH.

First note you don't need this, it's to wring out the last bit of
possible gain. I do not use any boost routinely with the Portadisc, just
it's own mic pre. I would expect that a MKH-20 with the telinga dish
would never need a extra pre as it's going to see comparatively louder
sounds.

My primary reason for having that MP2 is for it's M/S processing
capabilities, several of my mkh setups are M/S stereo setups; a
MKH-30/MKH-60, a MKH-30/MKH-40, and a pair of MKH-80's. Since I have it
I am in the process of trying it in all sorts of combo's to see what
happens. It's all stuff fairly new to me, and I don't know in the long
run exactly which way I'll be routinely using it. I'm still
experimenting, learning. Carting the pre with the portadisc in the field
adds bulk, so I'll only be using it where it adds something I need.

The reason why I attenuate the signal from the MP2 to the Portadisc is
so I can use the Portadisc set on mic input instead of line input. More
options like high pass filtering on the low frequencies, limiting and so
on are available in the mic settings than are available in the line
settings on a Portadisc.

The MP2 is putting out a line level signal. By attenuating it with a 15
dB attenuation cable and then setting another 15 dB attenuation in the
Portadisc I bring it down to the equivalent of a fairly hot mic signal.
This means that both the MP2 and the Portadisc are set at a intermediate
gain setting when it's all set up. In general all preamps give slightly
better sound if not set to the extremes. It's really a tossup as to how
much attenuation you crank in on the Portadisc, depends on what you are
recording.

I never use the parabolic with a mkh mic, I have a complete Telinga Pro
V with the DAT Stereo and Dual Science mic elements. I use that plugged
directly into the Portadisc. My Pro V was the model with the ministereo
plug. I've recently changed the cable and put on a 5 pin XLR male plug.
That still requires a adapter for the portadisc, in this case it's the
same adapter, which has several connectors. There is a photo of the
adapter here:
http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/naturerecordists/plug.jpg

I went to 5 pin as that's what I'm moving to for all the other mic
setups. Less cables around to trip over than with mono XLR cables
running stereo, and with breakout adapters they can be used for mono too.

I consider the MKH setups I'm working on to be mostly for closer in
subjects or soundfields. Even with a MP2 and all the help I can give
them, they don't compete well with the Parabolic for distant subjects.
Even the MKH-816's I have are much less reach than the Telinga. On the
other hand, for things that are close they will give me considerable
capability that the parabolic is very poor at.