Re: Greetings

Subject: Re: Greetings
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 17:59:25 -0800
Miguel Rivera, you wrote,

>I joined the
>group while searching for African animal recordings. There is a
>group somewhere in Northern California thaat specializes in
>collectiing sounds form africann animals, des anyone have any
>information on how to contact them?

I don't know of any such group, but Bernie Krause has worked in
Africa. He's

-Dan Dugan

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:23:06 2005
Message: 6
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 13:16:51 -0500
From: Walter Knapp <>
Subject: Re: Re: Digital Data Transfers

 wrote:

> Is there a "best" way to transfer data into the computer from the Portadisc
> assuming one has a superior sound card?

Digital in any form.

All three digital methods it has are sending the stream out of the ATRAC
decoder, so it should be the same. So, it's all a matter of convenience.

I don't use USB because of the USB driver's tendency to switch the
computer's I/O both ways to the Portadisc when it's hooked up, making
the headphone jack on the Portadisc the only place you can monitor by
headphone. And to monitor the computer output there the Portadisc would
have to be in record. (Some newer USB does not do this) So I use USB
once removed, with the Roland UA-30, which has headphone monitoring of
all I/O both ways without having to change connections. Then I use
optical From the Roland to the Portadisc as that will be certain to
avoid any electrical mismatch as it provides electrical isolation. So, I
guess I'm saying Digital Optical has a edge.

The Portadisc's analog is just fine, but if you have digital it would
seem silly to use analog.

I usually have Peak do the recording in the mac. I set it up, then with
the Portadisc in play/pause start record in Peak and then start the
Portadisc playing. At the end of the track I pause the Portadisc and
save the file. Then jump the Portadisc back to the beginning of the next
track as it probably played into it, and repeat the process. It takes
almost the same amount of time it would take to just listen to the
recordings. During the whole process the Portadisc is in Play or
Play/Pause. If you hit stop on the Portadisc it does not remember where
it was but will start play at the beginning of the disk when you hit
play. As a playback machine, a Portadisc is pretty basic. All the
goodies are in the record side, right where I want them to be.