Re: moles and atrac

Subject: Re: moles and atrac
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 12:25:38 -0500
Klas Strandberg wrote:

> Okay, I would personally make a choise here: I would go for the best
> recordings I could make, and then care only about the fans with equipment
> good enough!

I'm always aware of the equipment that I can expect people to be using.
In my work on the recent CD I worked mostly with a very good pair of
headphones, Sony MDR-V900's, my standard monitoring headphones. But I
checked the sound in my average quality computer speakers, a CD boombox,
some more average headphones and my main Stereo. Some things which
improve the sound in the headphones make the rest sound worse. Many of
the things like that make no difference in the others. Those that make
it worse I avoid, those that will not mess up the cheap speakers or
headphones I'll do.

In other words, I try not to compromise my sound because folks tend to
buy the cheapest thing around. But I try not to make it worse for them.

> But it is a choise. That is what I want to say.
>
> And what mic's do you use? In my experience, only Sennheiser MKH20 is silent
> enough to make MD "crispiness" audible. When using other mics, the
> (possible) "crisp" gets lost in inherent noise. Or?

As I've noted, the MKH-20's I have don't seem to show this either. The
sound monitored off the headphone connection on the MP2 pre is the same
as what comes out of the Portadisc recording. Or out of the headphone
monitor on the Portadisc during recording.

That is unless you are complaining on how clean and accurate a sound you
get off MKH-20's. I've read complaints about that, but I like the sound
I get.