New to the scene...

Subject: New to the scene...
From: Robert Whitworth <>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 21:13:51 -0800 (PST)
Hello to all.

My name is Rob and I'm new to the nature recording
community.  Thanks for having me.  More to the point,
I'm a musician who is interested in incorporating
environmental soundscapes into my existing
compositions.  I feel quite timid posting this
"neophyte" call for help so-to-speak to a community
who is obviously discussing in-depth technical details
as they relate to nature recording.  So, that being
said...

I would like to know what brand(s) and model(s) of
PORTABLE devices are typically used for "real world"
recording applications.  I would be interested in
acquiring a device capable of recording ambient sounds
e.g., rain, ocean surf, crickets, etc, and more up
close and personal sounds such as the human voice and
solo instruments.  Basically I'm looking for a device
capable of producing high quality recordings that can
"do it all"- if there is such a thing.

I have gathered from many of your messages that the
portadisc is a popular and highly esteemed choice.
Recently I have been made aware of the Marantz CDR300
direct to CD recorder.  This is a new machine, and I
was wondering if any of you knew anything about its
merits...  I have also been told to stay away from
mini-disc because of compression issues.  Supposedly
with direct to CD-R you don't get compression, which
results in a more accurate recording.

Also, I know little about the types and styles of
microphones to do the type of recording mentioned
above.  Any advice you might have in this area would
be greatly appreciated.  Perhaps someone could
recommend a good learning book, website, journal,
and/or magazine that deals directly with educating
folks who are just getting into this sort of thing.

Thanks,
Rob-
Denver, Colorado

http://mailplus.yahoo.com