Outside In

Subject: Outside In
From: "Richard Guthrie" <>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 07:02:44 -0500
I thought this group would be interested in the following:

At the moment, I'm listening to the ice breaking up on the river outside my
house.

I've put a baby-room monitor out there, and the receiver right next to my
desk. That way, I get to hear the outside sounds inside. This way, I get to
hear bird songs and animal sounds even with the doors and windows closed.
Believe me, there's nothing like hearing the cheery song of a Carolina Wren
on a dreary winter day.

I've enjoyed finding birds I would have otherwise missed had I not been
tuned in. Such things as flocks of Brant migrating by at night, the clamor
as the neighborhood Blue Jay alarms went off as a Sharp-shinned Hawk
attempted to strike at a feeder bird, coyotes howling on the island across
from me, and eagles calling as they are wont to do as another passes by.
Lots of possibilities.

The best thing about these monitors is that they come cheap. I find them at
yard sales, thrift shops, and the like. I don't pay more than $5.00 for the
pair.

Its good to check them out first. Set both units to the same "Channel", plu=
them in, and turn them on. There should be a feedback squeal. That's good.
Then take one unit (the receiver) a short distance away, and turn it on
again. You should be hearing the background sounds of the other unit. Then
haggle over the price, and take it home. I keep mine on a table on a
protected porch. Actually, I have several, so I now have "surround sound".
These units have two channels. Problem with that is that there can be
interference from one unit channel to another's other channel. Well, I gues=
they're not all that sophisticated electronic equipment. But, hey, if
there's a conflict, I just give the offending unit away.

I've set a vox recorder next to the monitor at times and was amazed to hear
the sounds I would have otherwise missed. Not CD commercial grade sounds,
but interesting stuff going on, let's say, during the early hours of mornin=
or when I'm away from the house.

The quality of the sounds may not be up to the standards of most of this
group, but at the price, and availability of these things, its too much fun
to miss over details.

After a short write-up in ABA's "Winging-It", I was reminded to advise that
these things are electrical, and proper precautions about electricity and
weather (rain, snow, etc) need to be considered. Common sense stuff, but I
guess some folks feel they need to be reminded not to stick their finger
into a electrical socket. So, just be sure that the outside unit is
protected from direct contact with moisture, and that it is unplugged or
switched off before messing with it.

Enjoy, and feedback, in this instance, would be welcomed.

Rich Guthrie
New Baltimore,
The Greene County,
New York