Re: Telinga Pro 2

Subject: Re: Telinga Pro 2
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 19:04:37 -0500
One other bit on the differences between a stereo Telinga and a mono.
Your handling style may need changing.

If you pan with a mono mic, the sound image from your headphones does
not move, stays rooted dead center, sound levels just vary in one spot.
Pan with stereo and the entire soundfield moves. Since the Telinga is in
effect a "telephoto lens" for sound, this effect occurs even with small
movements. It amplifies your movement.

You have to pan a Telinga stereo just like you would a video camera. No
jerking around, limit direction changes, move slowly and smoothly.
Otherwise the listener can get dizzy. It takes a little practice at
first. I've been using the Telinga stereo for more than two years now,
and am getting to the point that the motion is built in so I don't have
to watch myself too much. It took a while to stop the mono habits. I'm
working on making the field movement like it might be from moving my own
head.

This is also true of other stereo setups but to a lessor degree because
they are not amplifying the movement as much. Things don't enter and
leave the field near as rapidly. You have to swing the SASS a fair arc
to notice the movement, for instance. It's field covers nearly 3/4 of
the way around.

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:23:04 2005
Message: 6