Re: Telinga Pro 2

Subject: Re: Telinga Pro 2
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 02:43:52 -0500
 wrote:

> Dear Walt,
> Thanks so much for the information. All my publications are in mono. Is there
> any reason to record in stereo if one makes mono publications?

My usage is primarily scientific. When I got the Telinga I expected that
I'd be using the Dual Science in Mono and the stereo only rarely for
non-scientific recordings. I'd done only mono up to then. What I found
was that a stereo field makes distinguishing individuals in a frog
chorus much easier. Many of my sites are layers of multiple species and
it can be sometimes quite hard to sort out and find all the species in
the recording. Stereo became standard for me as a result. The purpose of
my work is to try and identify everything at a site. We are still
finding more species in some of my recordings than we originally
identified. Partially a result of a new person listening to them to
verify them.

While your publications are in mono now, it's worth thinking about,
particularly if your recordings include multiple individuals. If you are
publishing on audio CD, it's doing two channels anyway. There is no mono
specification for CD. When we feed mono to a CD it's just duplicated on
both channels.

Note that the stereo produced by the Telinga mixes back to mono with no
problems. And the two channels are two different mono "views" in
slightly different directions. I've sometimes used that last as a
"filter" to get around some interfering noise, i.e. one channel may pick
up the animal better than the other, or the offending noise is only on
one channel.

The simple answer is that stereo is unnecessary if you continue to
publish in mono. But, the possibility of a parabolic that does a
reasonable stereo is real and does have some advantages beyond just
sounding more "real".

Note that the stereo field produced by a Telinga could be thought of as
kind of pear shaped. The edges of the field are pretty much local, the
center can be way out there.

The people I work with are used to mono and are just beginning to learn
the advantages of stereo. They all record in mono, I'm the only
scientific type around here I know of recording in stereo. So their
reviews of my material are often the first time they have examined a
stereo recording for scientific purposes. They all seem to agree that
the stereo is helping. For the most part in the new mic setups I'm
making I'm setting up for stereo. Although the M/S stereo always
contains the output of a single center mono mic.

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:23:03 2005
Message: 6